Sunday, February 24, 2008

"Point bein', even in the contest between man and steer, the issue's not certain."

Hey all, been a long time since we've had a minute to talk face-to-face without the formal restrictions of a review format, hasn't it? How are you? I am well. It's looking increasingly likely that I'm *gasp* going to actually graduate in May (hey, one year late ain't bad). However, coming with that territory, my class schedule has been kind of crazy. While it's not all-consuming, I was sort-of forced to register for some required-to-graduate classes that fell on times where screenings generally happen. While I've still been able to attend most of them, the occasional problem has been posed; this past week alone, I missed the screenings for "City of Men," "The Signal" and "Vantage Point." So I apologize I occasionally won't have reviews up for films you may want to see; I, myself, was particularly anticipating "The Signal." This weekend, I headed home to New York and caught a couple shows (for those who care, "Sunday in the Park with George," "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" and "The 39 Steps"), so I still haven't caught up with "Vantage" or "Signal."

Also, I paid my hard-earned cash last week to see "Step Up 2 the Streets"-- another one I missed the screening for-- and was, frankly, astonished at how not-terrible it was. I did not like the first one, at all, and expected nothing from this one, and was pleasantly surprised. Granted, if someone just asked "hey, what's a good movie I should go see?," I couldn't in good conscience recommend "Step Up 2 the Streets." It's by-the-numbers, formulaic, and doesn't offer enough entertainment value for me to genuinely recommend. it. However, if someone experienced a modicum of enjoyment while watching the first "Step Up," there's no reason why they shouldn't see this one. It's quicker, more entertaining, less condescending, the leading actors were less wooden (and more purty to look at), and the movie delivers everything the first one did, only to a greater extent. I kind of jibed with the formula elements, and the dance numbers were surprisingly fun. It ain't quite a good movie, but it's significantly less of a slog than you might expect.

But most importantly of all-- and I regret having to make this segue from an analysis of "Step Up 2 the Streets"-- the Oscars are tonight. This was an extremely exciting awards season, resulting in the two true masterpieces of 2007 leading the pack for nominations, something that never happens. I'm, for one, sad to see it come to a close, but will be watching Sunday night with a rare giddiness. Here are my thoughts on who's going to, and who deserves to, win (I've omitted Best Foreign Language Film and Best Documentary Short Subject, since I've seen none of the nominees):


BEST PICTURE

Like everyone else, I'm having a tough time envisioning a scenario in which "No Country" does not win the big prize, and that's the way it should be. It IS the best film of the year, and while yes, Oscar properly honoring such a distinction would be odd, this year it seems especially likely. The film has earned all around guild support (except for those pesky editors) and seems to have found itself in virtually everyone's favor. Almost all the prognosticators, even those with a tendency to rabble-rouse, seem to agree on this, and I'm content with the universal consensus. Now, if, if, if, if the two masterpieces ("No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood") can NOT win, the inheritor of the throne I think I'd most be able to deal with is "Michael Clayton." Sure, it's nothing particularly special, but it is exceptionally well-crafted, features at least two marvelous performances, and elevates the conventional genre to which it belongs. While I think I actually do like "Juno" better, the thought of it winning the Oscar for Best Picture just makes me angry. Actually angry, not just "grrr, that would suck." I can't really explain why, I guess the backlash has settled in for me, like it has for many others. Or maybe I just shudder at a movie with the line "Geez banana, shut yer friggin' gob!" winning over two masterworks of cinema. Could be either one.

I don't really want to think about the "Atonement" factor, but I really don't need to, as it's just lucky to be here. Personally, as much as I love it, I think "There Will Be Blood" has the least chance of winning things out of all the nominated films. I think many people find it off-putting, and I believe the Academy only nominated it to cave in to flavor-of-the-month aficionado/critical consensus. Also, I think its fanbase falls within the same group of "No Country," and any voters that may feel inclined to go for "Blood" will probably go for the Coens instead. That said, if there is an alternate winner I can be happy about it's "Blood." And industry extraordinaire Kris Tapley has predicted it as the only potential roadblock to "No Country's" triumph. While I would be truly elated if I heard "And the Oscar goes to... There Will Be Blood," I doubt it's going to happen.

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "No Country for Old Men"
Potential Spoiler: "Michael Clayton"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "No Country for Old Men"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "There Will Be Blood"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Michael Clayton"
Who would make me livid: "Juno" and "Atonement"


ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"
Potential Spoiler: Um, dare I say no one? I really can't envision any of the others taking this.

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"
Who I would also be happy with winning: Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: George Clooney, Johnny Depp and Tommy Lee Jones
Who would make me livid: I mean, anyone except Day-Lewis would make me grumble, but all the nominees in this category are exceptional.


ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: Marion Cotillard, "La Vie En Rose"
Potential Spoiler: Julie Christie, "Away From Her"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: Laura Linney, "The Savegs"
Who I would also be happy with winning: Marion Cotillard, "La Vie En Rose"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: Julie Christie and Ellen Page
Who would make me livid: Cate Blanchett,"Elizabeth: The Golden Age"


ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"
Potential Spoiler: Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
Who I would also be happy with winning: Javier Bardem, Hal Holbrook
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Tom Wilkinson
Who would make me livid: None


ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton"
Potential Spoiler: Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton"
Who I would also be happy with winning: Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: Cate Blanchett and Saoirse Ronan
Who would make me livid: Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"


DIRECTOR

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: Joel and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
Potential Spoiler: Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: Joel and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
Who I would also be happy with winning: Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: Jason Reitman, "Juno"
Who would make me angry: Julian Schnabel and Tony Gilroy


ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: Diabo Cody, "Juno"
Potential Spoiler: Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: Brad Bird, "Ratatouille"
Who I would also be happy with winning: Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Juno," "Michael Clayton" and "Lars and the Real Girl"
Who would make me angry: None


ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: Joel and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
Potential Spoiler: Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "No Country for Old Men"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "There Will Be Blood," "Away From Her"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Atonement," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
Who would make me angry: None


ANIMATED FEATURE

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "Ratatouille"
Potential Spoiler: "Persepolis"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "Ratatouille"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "Persepolis"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Surf's Up"
Who would make me angry: None


ART DIRECTION

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "There Will Be Blood"
Potential Spoiler: "Sweeney Todd"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "There Will Be Blood"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "Sweeney Todd"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Atonement," "American Gangster," "The Golden Compass"
Who would make me angry: None


CINEMATOGRAPHY

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "No Country for Old Men"
Potential Spoiler: "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "No Country for Old Men"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," "There Will Be Blood"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Atonement"
Who would make me angry: "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"


COSTUME DESIGN

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
Potential Spoiler: "Sweeney Todd"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "Sweeney Todd"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "Atonement," "La Vie En Rose," "Across the Universe"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: None
Who would make me livid: "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"


DOCUMENTARY

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "Sicko"
Potential Spoiler: "No End in Sight"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "No End in Sight"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "Taxi to the Darkside," "Sicko"
I Have Not Seen So I Can Not Judge: "Operation Homecoming," "War/Dance"


FILM EDITING

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "No Country for Old Men"
Potential Spoiler:"The Bourne Ultimatum"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "No Country for Old Men"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "There Will Be Blood," "The Bourne Ultimatum"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Into the Wild," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
Who would make me angry: None


MAKEUP

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "La Vie En Rose"
Potential Spoiler: Um, "Pirates" I guess?

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "La Vie En Rose"
Who I would also be happy with winning: None
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End"
Who would make me angry: "Norbit"


ORIGINAL SCORE

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "Atonement"
Potential Spoiler: Its only real competition was deemed ineligible on the eve of the nominations.

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "Ratatouille"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "Atonement"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Michael Clayton"
Who would make me angry: "The Kite Runner," "3:10 to Yuma"


ORIGINAL SONG

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "Falling Slowly" from "Once"
Potential Spoiler: I don't even want to think about it.

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "Falling Slowly" from "Once"
Who I would also be happy with winning: No one
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: No one
Who would make me angry: The "August Rush" songs or any of the shit from "Enchanted"


SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "I Met the Walrus"
Potential Spoiler: "Even Pigeons Go to Heaven"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "Madame Tutli-Putli"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "I Met the Walrus"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Even Pigeons Go to Heaven," "My Love"
Who would make me angry: "Peter & the Wolf"


SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)

WHO WILL WIN: "The Mozart of Pickpockets"
Potential Spoiler: "At Night"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "The Substitute"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "The Tonto Woman," "Tanghi Argentini"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "At Night," "The Mozart of Pickpockets"
Who would make me angry: None


SOUND EDITING

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "No Country for Old Men"
Potential Spoiler: "Transformers"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "No Country for Old Men"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "There Will Be Blood," "Ratatouille"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Transformers," "The Bourne Ultimatum"
Who would make me angry: None


SOUND MIXING

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "No Country for Old Men"
Potential Spoiler: "Transformers"

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "No Country for Old Men"
Who I would also be happy with winning: "Ratatouille," "The Bourne Ultimatum"
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Transformers," "3:10 to Yuma"
Who would make me angry: None


VISUAL EFFECTS

WHO I THINK WILL WIN: "Transformers"
Potential Spoiler: None

WHO I WOULD VOTE FOR: "Transformers"
Who I would also be happy with winning: I don't really care.
Who I wouldn't be happy about winning, but I could deal: "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," "The Golden Compass"
Who would make me angry: None

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home