Thursday, July 26, 2007

He shaved the faces of gentlemen who never thereafter were heard of again... but who the fuck came up with this poster?



*Sigh*

I don't know. I consider John Doyle’s 2005's revival of Stephen Sondheim’s "Sweeney Todd" starring Michael Cerveris and Patti Lupone to be the greatest piece of art I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Yes, greater than any movie I’ve seen. You read right.

Sondheim’s "Sweeney Todd" is just great all around, in any incarnation, though that was the best. I was equally excited and nervous for Tim Burton's version and well, after seeing this poster, it would appear I was right to be nervous. It's pretty, but it's all wrong for what "Sweeney" is supposed to be.

"Sweeney Todd" is heartbreaking, immensely sad AND darkly funny. The poster layout and the tagline ("Never Forget. Never Forgive.") would make it appear that Burton has abandoned the first two and is going to be reveling completely in the camp and gore of it, which would completely gut "Sweeney" of its impact.

Yes, it’s all visually stunning—we expect nothing less from Burton—and would be effective for another movie, but I was hoping Burton would look past the macabre elements of the story and realize the haunting beauty lurking throughout it.

But then again, it's just a poster-- and on top of that, I've just been alerted that it's supposedly a poster made exclusively for Comic-Con so this might not be what we see in theaters. I'll hold out for a trailer before I pass judgment completely, but my heart just sank a little bit. Based on web reaction so far, I seem to be in the extreme minority on this-- what're your thoughts?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed... agreed... AGREED!!!
There is so much more to the story than what people think- for those who havent seen the show...

Sweeney is still my fav. show and the revial is touring... In may I'll be seeing it again, and I cannot wait- Im getting front row tickets no matter what the cost...

I just hope Burton gives justice, and I dont lose respect for him for doing this movie

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honestly love the poster. I think it is difficult to convey the sadness and beauty of "Sweeney Todd" through poster-form--especially when trying to market the musical based on its infamous "demon barber" plot. I think the portrait of Johanna and Lucy does add that human element, even if it is eclipsed by the stunning visuals.

I don't know. Though (like you) I fear Burton will exploit the play's violence for all its visual grotesqueness and gloss over the underlying almost epic-Greek tragedy, this poster does not give me the wrong vibe.

Ugh, Burton better not use "Sweeney Todd" as fodder for another "Sleepy Hollow."

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home