Thursday, October 26, 2006

WTF is going on with "Babel"?!?!


Excuse me, but what the hell is going on with these reviews for "Babel"?!?! Alejandro González Iñárritu's masterpiece is the best film I've seen this year, and I thought it would easily be something critics would flip for, but so far the reaction has been on par to the ones given to "Flags of Our Fathers" and other fair-to-solid movies. At Rotten Tomatoes, it currently sits at 73%, largely due to pans by the likes of The New Yorker, New York Magazine, Newsweek and the Village Voice.
Frankly, I don't get it. I understand some don't like Iñárritu's style of filmmaking, but "Babel" has such moments of quiet power, features such stunning performances, and seems to rectify any problems people seemed to have with "21 Grams." To each his own I guess. We'll see what audiences think when this one begins rolling out in NY and LA on Friday.

2 Comments:

Blogger J.J. said...

Moments of quiet power, yes (the dance club scene, the Mexican wedding). But they did this before to tighter, greater effect in Amores Perros. For me, Babel was an overlong slog through varying shades of misery, and the interconnectivity of the globespanning stories felt like manipulation, not ingenuity.

12:26 PM  
Blogger adam k. said...

I should really see Babel already. I'm not expecting to love it, but I might like it quite a bit anyway.

In other news, the title of your blog is just genius. Kudos.

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home