Thursday, March 08, 2007

Opening this weekend

Three new movies open this weekend: only one in wide release, the eagerly anticipated Frank Miller adaptation "300," and two in limited release that only a few of you will be able to catch in select cities before they expand in the weeks ahead.

These would be Mira Nair's Indian family drama based on the best-selling novel, "The Namesake," starring Kal Penn, and the Japanese monster movie "The Host."

Both "Host" and "Namesake" caught me by surprise with how much I liked them, and both offer something new for those who think they've seen everything in their respective genres.

"300"... well, frankly, I didn't like it at all. It left me numb and bored; for most of its running time, I sat slumped in my seat waiting for it to be over. But plenty of peeps seem to love it-- it's the movie event of the year for frat boys.

Anyway, I have my reviews for "The Host" and "The Namesake" written up but I'm on my way out, so I won't be able to post them til tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to check out "300" one more time either tonight or tomorrow morning before I can write a definitive review, but rest assured, it will not be positive.

Godspeed.

4 Comments:

Blogger AMMONART25 said...

Firstly..i love you're blog title.Renee Z looks like a puckered sphincter and believe me, i know(you don't want to know how i know!)...
Secondly...I loved The Host to death but it's South Korean(you don't work for Oscar do you?)

7:04 PM  
Blogger alexgirl said...

I love your blog title too. It rocks.
There's no WAY i'm seeing 300--you're, like, the 5th person to say how much it sucked.
But I secretly want to see the Sandra Bullock movie. Maybe I will.
And The Host looks awesome.
Thanks for the picks!
-Alex

11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont lie. we both love renee zellweger

>;D

if it were real, i think id probably work for Now

1:17 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

I really enjoy Zellweger in Bridget Jones, Nurse Betty, Jerry Maguire and Down with Love... but that's about it. And thank you guys for finding my blog and reading it! As you can tell, I'm really lazy but I'm going to start updating again starting today!

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home